Carbon Monoxide Safety
Second to fire detectors, carbon monoxide detectors are the most important piece of safety alarm equipment in a house. Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas. The difficulty of detecting it has earned this deadly gas the nickname of “the silent killer.” Although most gas companies these days have added a sulfurous smell to the gas to alert house occupants of its presence, people may still have no idea of its presence.
Because this gas can kill a person in a matter of hours, it is vital that all homes and apartments have carbon monoxide detectors placed throughout the dwelling. If you or someone you love has been the victim of carbon monoxide poisoning due to a negligent landlord who failed to install detectors, contact the San Antonio personal injury lawyers of Chris Mayo Injury Lawyers at (210) 999-9999.
A Landlord’s Responsibility
Landlords are responsible for installing carbon monoxide detectors throughout all of the properties they own. New home developments should also include carbon monoxide detectors if gas appliances will be in use. Landlords should be responsible for doing the following in order to protect their tenants:
- Install carbon monoxide detectors
- Make sure routinely that the detectors are still working
- Check all gas appliances routinely for any leaks
It is important to make sure your home contains working carbon monoxide detectors with fresh batteries. If you rent your property and it is not fully equipped, you need to speak with your landlord about your right to safety as soon as possible.
If you or someone you love has been the victim of carbon monoxide poisoning, contact the San Antonio personal injury lawyers of Chris Mayo Injury Lawyers at (210) 999-9999.